This Leche Flan recipe is a Filipino festive favourite, yes another one of my Mum’s traditional favourites. It is much like Creme Caramel, but it is so much easier to make and more yummier. I have added a vanilla bean but my Mum didn’t do that…. 🙂
You can serve with strawberries and whipped cream, or eat just as it is. It can be made in a large serving dish for parties, or in individual molds.
Filipino Leche Flan
- 110g (½ cup) caster sugar
- 6 eggs
- 395g can condensed milk
- 375ml can evaporated milk
- 1 vanilla bean, cut lengthwise
- Preheat oven to 180°C. Place the sugar in a saucepan and cook, swirling pan occasionally but not stirring, over a medium-high heat for 3-4 minutes, or until the sugar is a deep amber caramel.
- Pour into a a shallow, oval-shaped baking dish, loaf pan or individual ramekins work just as well.
- Beat the eggs in a bowl, adding in the condensed and evaporated milk, until well combined. Use a small sharp knife to scrape the seeds from the vanilla bean and add to egg mixture.
- Strain through a fine sieve into the baking dish, then cover tightly with foil.
- The next step is to bake it in a bain-marie. Place the baking dish in a roasting pan and fill with boiling water to reach halfway up the side of the pan. Bake for 1 hour or until firm.
- Remove from the oven and set aside to cool. Refrigerate to firm.
Run a knife around the flan, then invert onto a platter. The hard caramel base will have liquefied to form a runny caramel coating.